World Water Day 3-22-14
Loomstate is looking to make some waves on World Water Day.
What is World Water Day?
This day is about raising awareness for how our water and energy usage are intertwined and what that means for us going forward. It is a day to contribute to the conversation on the wide range of issues related to the nexus of water and energy and much more. It is also a time for us to appreciate the access to water and energy we do have, since there are 1.3 billion people who cannot access electricity and 768 million who don't have access to improved water resources.
How are water and energy connected?
Water is needed to produce almost every type of energy and energy is needed extract, treat, and distribute water. This cycle is getting more difficult to facilitate as the demand for water and energy increases all over the world. "Saving water is saving energy. Saving energy is saving water."
What can you do?
There are a lot of ways you can conserve water every day of the year. Here are just a few:
- Check for leaks in your faucets and pipes to assure no excess water is being wasted.
- Install water-saving shower heads and low-flow faucet aerators.
- Create a float booster in your toilet tank with recyclable plastic bottles to cut down on water waste. Fill two bottles with an inch or two of sand or pebbles to weigh them down. Fill them with water, screw the lids on, and put them in your toilet tank. Make sure they are safely away from the operating mechanisms. Or you can buy an inexpensive tank bank or float booster. This may save ten or more gallons of water per day.
- Hand wash your clothes and dishes when possible. If you must use your washers then make sure you are doing full loads.
- Cool your drinking water in the fridge instead of running the water for a long time.
- The most obvious, but still important, don't let your water run while brushing your teeth and take shorter showers.
- See more water saving tips from Surfrider.
What is Loomstate doing?
This Saturday and Sunday we will be donating 50% of all our profits (excluding jewelry) and 100% of the profits from our Sandy Recover Tee collection to Waves for Water. This will be ending Sunday night at 12am EST. So make sure to shop before Monday to help out this great organization and celebrate World Water Day!
Read more information about WWD here.