Sustainability in Fashion
Loomstate co-founder Scott Mackinlay Hahn was recently on a panel hosted by Vogue and H & M on the future of sustainability in the fashion industry. The stellar lineup of eco-concious moguls included Ecouterre editor Jasmin Malik Chua, designer Bruno Pieters, former Barney's fashion director Julie Gilhart, as well as members of H&M's sustainability board. Moderator Simon Collins, Dean of the School of Fashion at Parsons, kept the discussion grounded.
All parties agreed that sustainability within fashion goes beyond design, materials and production. According to a study by Levi's, a customer's handling of a product accounts for about 60% of it's environmental impact! Here are some quick tips by Fashionista on caring for your sustainable clothing in a sustainable way:
- Wash your clothes in colder water and line, or at least tumble, dry.
- Recycle your clothes (by donating or reselling) so that they don't end up in landfills.
- Buy higher quality items that will last longer.
- Mend things when they fall apart.
- Take the time to know where everything you purchase came from
- Send more suggestions to @Loomstate_Org!