Green Turkey Legs and Ham
As we approach the Thanksgiving Day meal that we wait for all year long, fast for a day before and regret for the week after, we're thinking of ways to "green" the menu this year. Here are a few things we came up with:
Here are some other recipes courtesy of the Consumer's Union. Happy preparing!
- Make it special - send an evite!
- Decorate with natural foliage. Head outback with some clippers, or pick up some fallen leaves on your walk home from work.
- Get your turkey from a local poultry farm if possible. Green Planet offers a list of eco turkey options.
- Collect non-perishables (wine & beer, gourds, carrots, potatoes, spices, oils, candles) at a local farmers market the weekend before. Buy the rest a day or two before at an organic market.
- Serve lots of pumpkin - it's seasonal! This recipe for pumpkin arugula salad is delicious.
- Encourage guests to bring tupperware or have reusable ones handy. Send the leftovers home with guests, so that nothing goes to waste!